Week of activities celebrates community pride and 25 years, Sept. 18-22
WHAT: Pittsburgh International Airport is teaming up with AirMall Pittsburgh to celebrate the region and the 25th anniversary of the airport and its award winning retail and dining program. In its third year, Discover Pittsburgh week invites travelers to experience the city’s distinctive flair with fun activities, live entertainment, special guests, tasty treats and promotions throughout the airport to celebrate the 25th anniversary.
WHEN: The activities scheduled in the Center Core for Discover Pittsburgh 2017, Sept. 18-22, include:
- Monday, Sept. 18:
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Guests will get to sample Delallo’s zesty Italian fare at The Strip Market.
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.: The National Aviary will bring its popular African penguin back to the airport.
- 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m: Soul singer Billy Price will perform as Pittsburgh sports mascots Iceburgh, the Pirate Parrot, and Mrs. T.’s Pierogies interact with guests and hand out Clark Bars. Franktuary will treat travelers to free hot dogs, while they last.
- Tuesday, Sept. 19:
- The Strip Market will offer samples from Grounds and Hounds (9 a.m. to 11 a.m.), Mon Aimee (10 a.m. to noon), and Come Ready Nutrition (1 p.m. to 3 p.m.).
- Noon to 2 p.m.: Airport-goers are invited to try their hand at button-making with The Andy Warhol Museum, while Ronald McDonald greets guests with magic tricks and fun surprises.
- 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.: The Pittsburgh Mini CLO will take the stage.
- Wednesday, Sept. 20:
- 10 a.m. to noon: The Strip Market will offer samples from Steel City Salts.
- Noon to 2 p.m.: Carnegie Science Center will delight the crowd with liquid nitrogen ice cream. Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh will host a screen printing session, and Chick-fil-A’s standout cow will meet and greet guests.
- Thursday, Sept. 21:
- The Strip Market will offer tastings with Blume Honey Water, 9 a.m. to noon, and Carbonara’s, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Carnegie Museum of Natural History invites guests to the Dinosaur Community Festival, with two appearances by Spiny the life-sized Spinosaurus at 11-11:45 a.m. and 1-1:45 pm. Commonwealth Press will also host live printing.
- Friday, Sept. 22:
- 10 a.m. to noon: The Pittsburgh Zoo will feature small reptiles from the zoo’s education department.
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Commonwealth Press will host live printing.
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Guests can treat themselves to a taste of Delallo’s Italian delicacies at The Strip Market.
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.: LoveBettie band will close out the week with live music and a spectacular performance.
Attendees can share their favorite activities on social media using #DiscoverPittsburgh.
About Allegheny County Airport Authority
Allegheny County Airport Authority, which manages Pittsburgh International Airport and Allegheny County Airport, is committed to increasing air service, improving customer service and inspiring growth in the Pittsburgh region. Its 2016 Annual Report detailing growth and improved financial position can be found at www.flypittsburgh.com/AR16.
Pittsburgh International Airport serves more than 8 million passengers annually on 16 carriers. During the past two years, the airport has increased its nonstop destinations more than 80 percent to include 68 airports. Air Transport World named Pittsburgh International its 2017 Airport of the Year. Travel + Leisure and Conde Nast both named Pittsburgh International a Top 10 Domestic Airport in 2016. In addition, TripAdvisor ranked Pittsburgh International Airport a Travelers’ Choice Favorite for Shopping in 2016.