Airport to Become Fashion, Beauty Destination for Travelers
PITTSBURGH, October 9, 2013 – AIRMALL® USA, the leading airport concessions developer in North America and operator of the AIRMALL at PIT, is making final preparations for the transformation of the airport’s Center Core into a new hub for high fashion and accessories for discerning travelers. The new concepts are a direct result of AIRMALL’s collaboration with the travel retail operator Airest Collezioni of the Airest Group, an Italian company operating retail and food and beverage services for travelers worldwide.
“Pittsburgh International Airport is a vital part of our regional economy, which continues to receive high marks for diversifying and thriving during challenging economic times,” said Rich Fitzgerald, Allegheny County executive. “We look forward to the changes being unveiled and expect that the flying public will be excited to see these changes as well.”
“Since its inception more than 20 years ago, Pittsburgh International Airport has always set the standard for high-quality shopping and dining when you’re traveling,” added David Minnotte, chairman, Allegheny County Airport Authority. “When you look at the brands that are about to take their place in the terminal, you quickly realize that the airport will continue to set such a standard for travelers and airports alike.”
Jay Kruisselbrink, vice president of AIRMALL Pittsburgh, went on to offer details on the concepts about to open at PIT:
- Runway-inspired clothing from Italy will have a new home at the airport thanks to Pinko (734 sq. ft.), which will be opening its first U.S. store in the AIRMALL. The store will offer high-quality, elegant and sophisticated fashion for women.
- Furla (561 sq. ft.) will offer premier leather and sophisticated accessories. The brand is known for its signature Italian designs that combine elegance and style with function and innovation. Furla also hails from Italy and was established by the Furlanetto family more than 80 years ago.
- Tumi (895 sq. ft.) will boast a dual façade store to house its top international bestselling and exclusive suitcases, briefcases, bags and travel accessories. The British brand is synonymous with reliable, stylish and practical travel essentials, constantly updating its product range to suit the ever-changing needs of the savvy traveler.
- The ever-popular Lacoste (567 sq. ft.) alligator will also be taking its place in the Center Core. The French apparel company will offer travelers a wide selection of high-end apparel for men and women. Since 1933, Lacoste has become synonymous with durability, elegance, performance and comfort.
- Desigual (819 sq. ft.) will introduce its colorful and vivacious women’s clothing and accessories to the airport. The Spanish brand has already brought its uniquely fun and affordable fashion to 90 countries around the world.
- Collezioni – The Beauty Gallery (3,500 sq. ft) is a first-of-its kind high-design beauty store that will offer more than 100 fragrance, cosmetic and skincare brands from top international names to “best-kept-secret” exclusives. The Beauty Gallery was designed with the passenger in mind, offering choice, space and light in an intimate, relaxing and inviting setting.
“This new assortment of well-known and specialty premium retail brands will change the face of the airport’s Center Core and create a true shopping destination for travelers. At AIRMALL, we are excited to offer travelers a wide selection of sophisticated, elegant and stylish clothes and accessories,” Kruisselbrink said. “We’re also going to open a first-of-its-kind beauty destination for travelers looking for their favorite cosmetics, fragrances or skincare products on-the-go. At the same time, we’re excited about several other well-known fashion and accessory brands that we expect to announce later this fall.”
“Airest Collezioni is thrilled to deliver to Pittsburgh and our partners at AIRMALL and Allegheny County a brand line-up and elevated shopping experience that solidifies Pittsburgh International Airport’s reputation for innovative travel retail,” said Chris Hoveland, head of business development Americas at Airest S.p.A.
“Airest Collezioni’s brand partners, which together represent a carefully curated selection of global brands, offer Pittsburgh travelers something different – not only from other travel retail, but from their mall and downtown shopping experiences as well,” added Liz Riding, USA retail project manager at Airest S.p.A.
In March 2013, the AIRMALL announced a seven-year agreement with Airest Collezioni to bring a selection of premium and high fashion brands to the PIT’s Center Core, which is situated in the airside terminal and receives all departing and arriving passengers. The new stores are part of a $10-million upgrade to the AIRMALL at PIT, a year-long construction project that will result in the most significant overhaul of the concessions program since the airport opened in 1992. Phase one of the construction project began in January.
The grand opening of the new Center Core is expected to occur this winter.
For more information on AIRMALL USA, visit www.fraport-usa.com.